Built in 1703 years ago by the 'man
who was the Duke of Buckingham at that time. When
George III became king soon after, he liked the palace
so much that he bought it, and English kings and queens
have lived in it ever since. Buckingham Palace is
attended night and day by special troops of the British
Army. These troops work in shifts, like all guards.
Each time a new shift comes on, there is a very colorful
ceremony called the "Changing of the Guard."
The bugle call at this time suggested the music for
the song that starts, "They're changing Guards
at Buckingham Palace, Christopher Robin went down
Buckingham Palace is the official London residence
of the British monarch since Queen Victoria ascended
the throne in 1837. It is placed at the end of the
Mall, a wide avenue leading from Trafalgar Square,
and faces the Victoria Memorial, a statue of Queen
Victoria. A statue of Nike, the ancient Greek goddess
of victory, stands in front of the palace in memory
of Queen Victoria too. The royal Banner is set on
the roof when the monarch is in residence, and the
famous Changing of the guard takes place in the palace
forecourt every day from, April to September and every
other day from October to March. This is perhaps the
most popular happening which can be seen in Buckingham
Palace. Certain rooms are open to the public in August
and September while the Queen is not in residence.
Buckingham Palace was built by the Duke of Buckingham
and Normandy in 1703 and bought by George III in 1761,
although St James's Palace continued to be the official
royal residence until the accession of Queen Victoria.
The building, in neo-classical style, was remodeled
by John Nash in 1825. In 1856 a ballroom was added
and in 1913 Sir Aston Webb altered the East Front,
which faces the Mall. Marble Arch was the entrance
to the palace until it was moved to the north-eastern
corner of Hyde Park in 1851. The palace has about
600 rooms and is surrounded by 20 hectares of gardens.
Some of the state apartments are open to the public
in July and August. The Queen's Gallery and the Royal
Mews on the south side of the palace are both permanently
open to the public. In the queen's Gallery, annual
exhibitions of paintings and works of art from the
Royal Collection are shown. In the Royal Mews state
coaches and carriages are displayed: among them is
the Gold State Coach, which was used at every coronation
since that of George IV in 1762. The stables, in which
the Windsor Grey and Cleveland Bay carriage horses
are kept, are also open to the public.
How to get There
Tube: Green Park, St James Park. Rail: Charing
Cross, Victoria. Bus: 2B, 3, 9, 14, 16, 19, 22, 25,
30, 36, 38, 52, 73, 74, 82, 137, 509, 510.
Palace State Rooms
Buckingham Palace State Rooms. Open daily from 6 August
to 4 October 1998. Tickets are available on the day
or in advance, from 09.00, at the ticket office in
Green Park. Admission Required.